Eating healthy foods can help you live a better life!

Healthy Eating Tips

Diet to Control High Blood Pressure

If you have high blood pressure, it means that you have hypertension. It is a condition where the sustained high pressure in your arteries is in the 140/90 or higher level. The 140 represents the systolic pressure which is the blood pressure on the arteries when the heart beats, and the 90 is the diastolic pressure which is the condition when your heart is at rest. People who don’t control their blood pressure are susceptible to heart failures, vascular diseases, kidney failure and even stroke.

Being hypertensive is a food factor at around 90 percent. The remaining 10 percent are hypertensions that are genetically acquired. What’s important is that once you don’t become careful with the food you eat, you put yourself in grave danger. This article will help you know which ones to avoid and which food will be healthy for you.

Make sure that the food you eat has less salt. High sodium foods cause vasoconstriction, a condition where your blood vessels narrow down. So what you do is make sure that the food you eat is less salty to the taste. Snacks and processed meats are high in sodium. So don’t indulge so much on them.

When you eat at restaurants, don’t ask for salt and pepper. It may add insult to the chef when you do this and at the same time, salt on your food will only increase your blood pressure. There are salt substitutes that are not sodium based. If it is really necessary, go for this option instead.

Potassium intake is good for you. You get this from bananas, potatoes, avocadoes, tomato juice, grapefruit juice and acorn squash. Potassium is known to help maintain intracellular osmotic pressure in your blood stream. So make sure that after each meal, have a piece of banana ready to end your mealtime.

Magnesium and calcium rich foods will help reduce your blood pressure. You can get calcium from low fat milk, green beans, spinach, broccoli, tofu and sardines with bones. Legumes, navy beans and sunflower seeds are rich in magnesium.

Make sure also that you lessen your intake of saturated fats. This increases the level of low density lipoproteins that stick on the walls of your arteries then harden. They may lead to atherosclerosis. As much as possible we want your arteries to remain elastic so that it can adjust to the changes in your blood pressure. When you eat healthy, your high blood pressure will be on a controlled level.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.